Friday, August 5, 2011

Interview with Betsy St Amant

1. IF "Fireman Dad" were a movie who would you want to play the main characters?
Ohhh, tricky. Let's see. Marissa could be Julianne Hough (actor/singer/dancer) and Jacob would be Josh Duhamel :)


2. What gave you the idea for or inspired "Fireman Dad"?
My husband is a fireman, and he's always wanted me to write a fireman book. So I did this one partially for him, and partially because so much of it is a true story that we lived out. (see the Dear Reader letter in the back of the novel) It begged to be told in some form.

3. At Pink Sapphire, we rate books in carats. 5 carats being a great book! What are your 5 carat books?
To list just a few (otherwise I'd take up your entire blog!) I'd have to include Siri Mitchell's "She Walks In Beauty", Julie Lessman's entire Daughters of Boston Series, Liz Curtis Higgs entire recent Scotland series, Rene Gutteridge's "Boo" series, Lisa Wingate's "Daily Texas" series, and Susan May Warren/Susan Down's Russian series from several years ago. They all linger with me.

4. What is the one thing you hope readers take away from your book?
 I hope my readers feel a little challenged or encouraged in their faith when they put down of one of my novels. Either challenged to grow deeper spiritually, and meet a goal for themselves that the characters did, or encouraged that the rainbow is often just around the corner from the storm. Whichever they need most at the time.

5. Have you always wanted to be a writer? When did you first begin to write?
Yes! Truly, my entire life. I was writing short stories on my home computer at the age of 7. I always knew I wanted to be published and set out making that a serious goal when I turned 18.

6. What book do you wish you’d written?
Lisa Samson's "The Passion of Mary Margaret". It was so unique and deep and amazing. I loved the story for so many reasons. Highly recommend.

7. Do you also write music?
 No, unfortunately. I'd love to, but that's not where my skills are! My dad is very talented on the guitar. I think if I could magically have any musical ability granted to me by a genie, I'd want to be a pro on the fiddle. I have my bluegrass side ;)

8. You're in line at Starbucks, what are you ordering?
 Oh easy! Tall, non fat, white chocolate mocha. No whip, unless I'm celebrating...

9. If you could spend the day with any person who is living, who would it be and why? Maybe Nicholas Sparks, to pick his brain about where he gets the emotion and the ideas for his best sellers!! :)


10. What's up next for you?
Next is my Young Adult novel via Barbour Publishers, releasing January 2012 and titled ADDISON BLAKELY: CONFESSIONS OF A PK. It's the story of a teen girl who is a preacher's daughter and struggling to live life in the fishbowl as she starts to question the depth of her own faith...and her unwanted feelings for the "bad boy" down the street...

No comments: